Shane Van Vleet Memorial Scholarship for Biological Sciences
This scholarship has been funded by Carrie Van Vleet in memory of her husband, Shane Van Vleet. Shane, a native of Macomb, graduated from WIU in 2002 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. He then attended Southern Illinois University Edwardsville School of Dental Medicine, graduating in 2007 with Honors. Shane was very proud of the education that he received at WIU and how it prepared him for a career in the medical field.
- Applicants must either be a junior or senior at WIU majoring in Biological Sciences, with preference given to a pre-dentistry student.
- A minimum GPA of 3.5 or better.
- Resident of McDonough or Hancock County
- Planning to attend medical school or entering a healthcare or medical profession
- Financial need using the FAFSA or other information
- Activity/involvement within the Department of Biological Sciences and/or the community.
Scholarship may be renewed for a second year as long as the student maintains a 3.5 GPA or better and continues to major in Biological Sciences.