Great River Teacher Corps
• Recipient must be enrolled in a teacher education course of study, or declare pre-teacher education upon initial enrollment at WIU.
• An essay on the value or rural/small schools or urban schools, dependent upon the track of their choosing
• An endorsement from a rural/small school or urban superintendent, dependent upon track, who agrees to interview the applicant for a position, should a suitable opening be available
• Applicant must complete a contract agreeing to teach in their selected area, rural or urban, for three years upon graduation, in the sixteen county WIU service area, which includes: Adams, Brown, Calhoun, Fulton, Hancock, Henderson, Henry, Knox, McDonough, Mercer, Peoria, Pike, Rock Island, Schuyler, Stark and Warren.
Recipients will receive a scholarship of $2,000 per year until they are fully accepted into the WIU Teacher Preparation Program (TEP). Once accepted into the TEP, recipients will receive $4,000 per year, for up to three years, until they complete student teaching. Awards are to be divided equally between fall and spring semester and applied directly to their university account.
Recipients will be required to attend at least three selected seminars, or value-added activities, each year within their chosen track. They must complete student teaching in the school size of their selected track. They will also be required to attend the GRTC gathering held each spring. Once awarded, recipients must sign a contract agreeing to teach in their selected track area for a minimum of three years upon graduation within the sixteen county WIU service area.
As a Corps member
YOU COMMIT TO:
• Attend at least three selected GRTC training activities each year on
rural and small school education issues
• Graduate and become certified/licensed to teach
• Complete student teaching in a rural or small school
• Attend the Great River Teacher Corps gatherings held each spring
• Teach for three years in a rural community within 22 specified counties